Wednesday, January 2, 2008

If you are chilly, here take my sweater

It is a new year. 2008. I've decided that I really love to write, and I don't spend nearly enough time doing it, so I'm going to take a leaf out of the book of Mr. Truman Capps and start myself a blog. And seeing as we are just inside the door of a new year, I've decided to reflect on the last year and all the things that went great, and all the things that went wrong. So here we go.

1. Transfer from UW to UO: Seriously, who saw this coming? Anyone? I didn't think so. But this massive development actually worked out great. After joining the OMB, which is one of the greatest groups I've ever been a part of, I realized that a strong group of people was one of the major things that had been missing in my life. I now have friends that I honestly believe I will have not only throughout college, but my life. I am planning on being a part of the OMB throughout my time at the University of Oregon, and I am very excited about it. My change of school also prompted a change of major, which brings me to big development number 2.

2. Decision to become an English Major: Throughout my senior year of high school and my freshman year of college I had it in my head that I was going to be a Photography major. Not anymore. After a crushing defeat at the hands of the University of Washington Photography Department (aka, the demons of hell), I realized that I love English Literature way more than any person should, and I should just dedicate my life to it. So I am currently studying English Literature with the intent of going to graduate school and studying film. I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, "Caroline, what in God's name are you going to do with that?" I have an answer. I am going to be a screenwriter. I plan on writing adapted screenplays based on the books that I love and I think would make great movies. It's a little egotistical and self-indulgent, but I feel like it's a very good path for me. So I am pumped. I'm starting with Invisible Monsters, and I'm starting this year.

3. Studying abroad in Italy: I spent 2 1/2 months in Rome. It was rather odd. I left with severe allergies, a stomach virus, far less money that I got there with, and a tattoo on my lower back. I realized that while Rome is rather interesting, I love Paris (I spent a weekend there), and Switzerland is the closest thing to Heaven I've ever experienced (despite severe allergies...). I learned Italian enough to be conversational, and promptly decided that I was going to start learning French. Again...go figure. It's been a strange year.

4. Relationship rollercoaster: At the beginning of the year I left a relationship that was, shall we say, a relation-shit. I followed it up with copious amounts of alcohol and moderate depression. However, on Halloween a miracle occurred and I met someone who has made my life very very good. After about a month of awkwardness I grew a pair and told him how much I liked him, and after about a week I found myself in a relationship that is so good that sometimes I don't believe it's real. But it is, and I couldn't be happier.

So, overall, it's been a pretty good year. As is any year in my life, it's been fairly odd, but I can deal with that. I just hope the rest of this year goes the same way the last one ended.

No comments: